Monday, June 13, 2005

michigan?

well, this post is once again just me taking a moment to FREAK OUT! um, ok. i have two weeks to decide if i want to move to ann arbor, michigan in january with my major advisor and continue grad school there. two fucking weeks. here are my four choices:

1: stay in athens for graduate school, find a new advisor, and continue on the project i have already started. unfortunately my current research is very dull. but i am almost guaranteed to finish it within two years.

2: stay in athens but look for a new advisor and a new project to work on. this option is tempting but it might be hard to find someone with funding to support me and it would take me longer to finish school. on the other hand, i could end up working on a project that really interests me (evolution) as opposed to one that doesn't (soil nitrogen dynamics).

3: move to michigan, keep my major advisor (who rules, by the way), and go to grad school up there. this would, of course, require me to uproot my life, start an entirely new research project, make new friends, etc. on the other hand, it gives me a chance to move to a new city and have a guaranteed job (i can feel that driving urge to move on, to keep looking for something new waking up again. i try to ignore it, but i've never been able to do more than temporarily still that restlessness).

4: forget school, leave athens, go somewhere fun, get a useless job, hang out for a year and then go to grad school in the fall of 2006. in ann arbor maybe?

help! two weeks!!!!

1 comment:

stephanie said...

Well, I've heard that Ann Arbor is really nice and actually a lot like Athens. But, as Anne Marie said, it sure is cold up there. And you'd have to be friends with Yankees. Or Canucks. I do know what the urge to leave Athens is like though, I get it every 3-5 years or so... Good luck making your decision!